By: Mahanidhi Swami
1. Dawn and dusk are best for japa because the air is pure and the density of distracting vibrations is less.
2. Bathe or just wash hands, feet, face, and mouth before sitting for japa.
3. Observe silence (besides japa) and avoid all distractions, both internal and external.
4. Sit in the same place at the same time daily. Facing east or north enhances concentration.
5. Resolve to complete a certain minimum number of repetitions. (rounds or malas)
6. Recite prayers before the recitation.
7. Repeat the mantra aloud for a few minutes, and then recite silently. If the mind wanders, recite loudly again or whisper for some time. Return to mental japa as soon as possible.
8. Focus your attention exclusively on the mantra sound.
9. Close your eyes, and mentally recite the mantra slowly with devotion and one-pointedness (ekagrata). As the mind becomes still and concentrated, mental japa speed will automatically increase.
10. When you repeat the mantra, visualize that Bhagavan Sri Krishna is sitting in your heart, sending purity into your mind. Believe, understand and perceive how the mantra is elevating you to the spiritual dimension of seeing your eternal identity. The mantra is liberating you from all your negative karmas, worldly desires and cravings for unnecessary things, and revealing your personal loving attraction to Sri Krishna.
11. Do not perform japa in a hurried manner.
12. Be vigilant and alert during japa. Open your eyes or stand if dullness overcomes you.
13. Be regular in the number of daily rounds (malas or recitations of the Holy Name).
14. Maintain your japa practice with tenacity and perseverance.
15. Recite japa during any free time, especially at the daily junctures (morning, noon, and evening) and before sleep.
16. Upon completing japa, sit a few minutes meditating on Radha-Krishna and your relationship with Them. Think how you can be a better person by trying to live moment to moment for the pleasure of Sri Krishna and the happiness of everyone around you.
Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare
Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare
Jai Jai Sri Radhe!