If a very valuable thing is offered for free, who would not take it immediately?
In a handful of places, Bhagavan Shri Veda Vyasa offers special boons and benedictions i.e. phala shruti to anyone who reads the Bhagavatam in general, or particular chapters therein.
Besides receiving wonderful benefits from these “charity verses”, one should get the idea that the daily hearing, reading and studying of the Srimad Bhagavatam is both mentally beneficial, and spiritually a most powerful, prema-producing limb of bhakti bhajana.
There are many verses of blessings and benefits in the Srimad Bhagavatam. You can look for them, note down, and apply in appropriate circumstances.
In our sadhana life of forty-two years, we have often utilized these Bhagavata benedictions to overcome obstalces, and gain the positive spirit to practice bhakti bhajana with renewed enthusiasm. Srimad Bhagavatam ki jai!
Selected Phala Shruti Verses
- Daily service [hearing and chanting] of the Bhagavata destroys most all that is inauspicious, and establishes one in firm and steady bhakti for Uttamasloka Bhagavan Sri Krishna. (SB 1.2.18)
- Simply by hearing the Bhagavatam, bhakti for the Parama Purusha Sri Krishna appears in the heart and destroys the fires of lamentation, illusion and fear. (SB 1.7.7)
- Whoever in the morning and evening carefully recites the mysterious appearance of Bhagavan Sri Krishna will get free from all his/her miseries. (SB 1.3.29)
- Anyone who recites or hears this pastime of Sri Hari saving Lord Shiva will be freed from all enemies and the repetition of birth and death. (SB 10.88.40)
- The pastime “The Syamantaka Jewel” (SB 10.56-57 chapters), which is rich with descriptions of the prowess of Ishvara Sri Krishna, removes sinful reactions and bestows all auspiciousness. Anyone who recites, hears or remembers it will destroy his/her bad reputation, the sins which caused it, and attain peace. (SB 10.57.42)
- Anyone who faithfully hears or describes Sri Krishna’s sporting with the young married brides of Vraja will attain para-bhakti (Vraja bhakti), and quickly without any delay become sense controlled and conquer the heart disease of lust. (SB 10.29.33)
- A faithful person who sings about the transcendental birth and activities of Deva-devasya Sri Vishnu will become completely free from all sins. (SB 11.31.27)
- Anyone who faithfully hears Sri Krishna’s remarkable pastime of liberating the witch Putana will attain love for Sri Govinda (govinda rati). (SB 10.6.44)
- Anyone who hears the pastime of Sri Krishna’s favoring the the brahmana Sudama will obtain love of God (bhagavata bhava), and become liberated from the cycle of birth and death. (SB 10.81.41)
Sruti Phala for the entire Tenth Canto Bhagavata:
- By regularly hearing, chanting and meditating on the beautiful topics of Sri Mukunda [in the Srimad Bhagavatam] with ever-increasing sincerity, one will attain Sri Vrindavana Dhama, where the inviolable power of death holds no sway.
To attain these benefits, many persons, including great kings, left their homes and went to the forest. (SB 10.90.50)
Srimad Bhagavatam is all perfect, all successful, all perfect ki jai! Jaya Jaya Sri Radhe!